Thursday, January 13, 2011

Respect driven or patronising?

I spent some time yesterday reading the doctrine of the LDS regarding the second coming of Jesus Christ, the period that we refer to as The Millennium, and about Post Mortal Life. As I did so I had to clarify a few things with myself. First of all I asked myself why I care to be part of a religious forum? Second whether my approach is open and respectful or just patronising?

The answers aren't very simple but nothing really is below the surface.

So, why a religious forum?
1. I believe a relationship with God is essential to the spiritual health of each and every person on this earth. It is among the first forms of nourishment in the soul of every person. I see an open and respect driven religious forum as one way to combat the spiritual drift or spiritual sickness we see throughout the world that manifests itself in the form of addiction, self destruction, war and civil strife, and the hate in the heart of men for anything different. The more support we give each other to seek spiritual nourishment individually, the stronger, healthier, and more peaceful this world will become.
2. I believe there is nothing to fear in opening my heart to others. In turn I believe there is nothing to fear in learning about their beliefs and life experiences. I know what my life experience has been as a female, American, Mormon, friend, mother, and wife but admit that leaves me limited only to that perspective and culture I'm familiar with. I want to be a real neighbor and friend who people can be authentic with.

And is my approach open and respectful or just patronising?
1. This question is tough but I'm trying to figure it out. I know I believe I am being open and respectful. I want to hear what people really think, not just what I want them to think or what I assume they must think. I have no intention of trying to press my beliefs on anyone though I have no hesitancy to share my beliefs with those who want to hear them either out of personal desire to learn more as an option for their own faith or out of sheer curiousity. There are a few unspoken rules in either situation. Myself and anyone involved is welcome to state their beliefs exactly as they are and without apology. They are never to be taken as a personal threat or invitation for debate. Questions to further discuss the statement are welcome as long as they are generated with genuine interest in the answer. Obviously statements of belief from different people of different faiths will be different from each other. Of course! Sometimes even contradicting to the point of being complete opposites. This is where the respect enters a respect driven forum because this is where the passionate spew usually begins. But why? Anyone who cannot handle that situation should look somewhere else for a religious forum, try googling religious debate communities. I'm sure we could find plenty.

2. I still have to tackle the question of whether my belief that a forum can happen without debate is realistic or just patronising. Has anyone got the feeling from me of a please all who is saying "hey, maybe we're all right so let's just sing Kumbaya and give each other hugs." If so then I have been patronising. I do not believe it's okay as individuals to just sit back and chill in regards to questions of life, death, where we came from and where we're going. I cannot respect anyone who says it all just doesn't matter because that is the ultimate disrespect to the beauty and gift of life. There are a lot of different perspectives and ideas about WHY it all matters and even though I disagree with many or most of them I can still respect them. But to embrace ignorance as a course of life? That is to say, to live without thinking about the bigger picture is in my mind the ultimate laziness, too lazy to seek truth. It is that journey for truth that I hope every person will embrace, a journey that offers no promises of what you might find. And what reason could anyone have for avoiding truth if not laziness. But for those who are not lazy is it that they are afraid of what they might find? What it might mean about their own life and the choices they make? And if so, for how long do they think they can avoid the inevitable? I'm afraid that if it is only through death that they face truth, by force rather than by their own seeking, they will then have a sadness to endure of what their life might have been if only they'd faced it head on. The way I see it this draws only one line in the forum and that is between those who have or want to think about their beliefs and those who do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment